Four-cheese soup at a restaurant
Cheese soup is a type of soup prepared using cheese as a primary ingredient, along with milk, broth and/or stock to form its basis. Various additional ingredients are used in its preparation, and various types and styles of cheese soup exist. It is a part of some cuisines in the world, such as American, Colombian, Mexican, Swiss and Tibetan cuisines. Mass-produced cheese soups may be prepared with the addition of food additives to preserve them and enhance flavor. A list of cheese soups is included in this article.
Cheese soup is a part of various cuisines, such as American cuisine, Colombian cuisine, Mexican cuisine, Swiss cuisine and Tibetan cuisine. Mote de queso is a traditional cheese soup dish in the Córdoba Department of Colombia. In Spanish, "cheese soup" translates to "sopa de queso", and a published Mexican recipe from 1893 exists for the dish under this name. In Switzerland, cheese soup is referred to as Kassuppe, and it is a specialty dish in Central Switzerland. Churu is a Tibetan cheese soup prepared with churu cheese of Tibet.
Cheese is a main ingredient in cheese soup, and is typically used in the dish in grated form or in chunks or pieces. Cheeses used include hard cheeses like Cheddar, Gruyère and Parmesan cheese and soft ones such as farmer cheese, Gouda cheese, muenster cheese, queso blanco and queso Chihuahua. The cheese adds both flavor and nutritional value to the soup. Processed cheese (including Velveeta), such as pasteurized process cheese and pasteurized process cheese food is sometimes used instead of natural cheese. Some cheese soups have a rich flavor and may be high in fat due to the use of high-fat ingredients such as butter and heavy cream, in addition to the fat in the cheese. Fat content of the soup can be reduced by the use of ingredients such as low- or non-fat cheese, fat-free milk and fat-free stock.
Milk and/or broth such as chicken broth or stock are used to form the liquid basis for cheese soup. Additional ingredients can include half and half, beer, bread crumbs, butter, eggs, onion, onion juice, garlic, vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrot and celery, spices and seasonings. Ingredients that can enhance the flavor of cheese soup include chopped bacon, beer and chopped broccoli, among various others. Croutons are sometimes used as topping.
Cheese soup is sometimes cooked in a bain-marie (double boiler) to prevent it from burning or scorching, which can occur when it is cooked over the direct heat on a stove burner. Cheese soups can also be reheated using a double boiler.
Mass-produced cheese soups may have additives to enhance their flavor and to preserve them. For example, modified-butterfat products are used in some mass-produced cheese soups as a flavor enhancer. Gels formed from pectin are used in some mass-produced cheese soups as a fat replacement.
List of cheese soups
- Cheese soups
Cauliflower cheese soup prepared with blue cheese, topped with olive oil
Cheddar soup prepared with white cheddar
- ^ a b Ojakangas, B.A. (2005). Great Old-Fashioned American Recipes. University of Minnesota Press. p. 80. ISBN 978-1-4529-0759-8. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Davidson, A.; Jaine, T. (2014). The Oxford Companion to Food. Oxford Companions. OUP Oxford. p. 165. ISBN 978-0-19-104072-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Fodor's Travel Guides (2015). Fodor's Switzerland. Full-color Travel Guide (in Basque). Fodor's Travel Publications. p. 157. ISBN 978-1-101-87872-9. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b Recetas practicas para la señora de casa sobre cocina. Imp. de J.A. Rodríguez. 1893. p. 17. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ Jinich 2016, p. 16.
- ^ a b c Wright, C.A. (2011). The Best Soups in the World. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 368. ISBN 978-0-544-17779-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c "Fodor's Montreal & Quebec City". Fodor's Travel Publications. 2005. p. 59. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ a b c "Mote de queso: cucharadas de tradición cordobesa". Radio Nacional de Colombia (in Spanish). June 16, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Fodor, Eugene (1971). Switzerland. D. McKay. p. 108. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ a b Good Housekeeping: Everyday Cook Book. Good Housekeeping library. Hearst Books. 2002. p. 276. ISBN 978-1-58816-210-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c d e American Heart Association (2015). American Heart Association Healthy Fats, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook. American Heart Association. Potter/Tenspeed/Harmony. p. 62. ISBN 978-0-553-44716-3. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c Page, Logan Waller (1912). "Cheese soups and vegetables cooked with cheese". Issues 476-500. Farmers' Bulletins. U.S. Department of Agriculture. p. 487. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ Edwards, L. (2014). Edwardian Cooking: The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook. Skyhorse Publishing Company, Incorporated. p. 66. ISBN 978-1-62872-316-8. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b Dolby, R. (1830). The Cook's Dictionary and House-keeper's Directory: A New Family Manual of Cookery and Confectionery, on a Plan of Ready Reference, Never Hitherto Attempted. Henry Colburn and Richard Bentley. p. 139. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Dolby, Richard (1832). The Cook's Dictionary. Henry Colburn & Richard Bentley. p. 337. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Schneider, D. (2012). The Mexican Slow Cooker. Potter/TenSpeed/Harmony. p. 31. ISBN 978-1-60774-317-0. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Scheele, C. (2000). More Old World Breads...and Soups Too. iUniverse. p. 114. ISBN 978-0-595-16122-5. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ White, N. (2015). Jacksonville Food Trucks: Stories & Recipes from the Road. American Palate. Arcadia Publishing Incorporated. p. 79. ISBN 978-1-62585-299-1. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Wright, C.A. (2012). Hot & Cheesy. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. pt17. ISBN 978-0-544-18686-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Jinich 2016, p. 20.
- ^ Burkhalter, B.B. (2012). Raised on Old-Time Country Cooking: A Companion to the Trilogy. AuthorHouse. p. 350. ISBN 978-1-4772-8720-0. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ "Food Engineering". Volume 41. Chilton Company. 1969. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
Kraft Pasteurized Process American Cheese, or Kraft Super Blend Pasteurized Process Cheese Food have taken their permanent place among creamy cheese dishes — cheese soups, cheese spreads, and cheese dips. Whatever the cheese ...
- ^ Lund, J.A.M.; Alpert, B. (2006). Cooking Healthy with a Food Processor: A Healthy Exchanges Cookbook. Healthy Exchanges Cookbooks. Perigee Book. p. 35. ISBN 978-0-399-53281-8. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Woodruff, S. (1999). The Best Kept-Secrets of Healthy Cooking: Your Culinary Resource to Hundreds of Delicious Kitchen-Tested Dishes. Avery Publishing Group. p. 15. ISBN 978-0-89529-880-5. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Mycoskie, P. (2009). I'm Listening: The Butter Busters Cookbook Companion. Grand Central Publishing. p. 380. ISBN 978-0-446-56947-7. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c d Hulin, B. (2009). The Everything Soup, Stew, and Chili Cookbook. F+W Media. p. 102. ISBN 978-1-4405-2113-3. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c d Mendelssohn Club (Rockford, Ill.) (1909). The Mendelssohn Club Cook Book. Hermilda Listeman Cookbook Collection. Horton Print. Company. p. 37. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Cornell Reading-courses ... Course for the Farm. New York State College of Agriculture. 1915. p. 16. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ "Broccoli & Cheese Soup". ABC News. June 30, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ "Broccoli-Cheese Soup". Philly.com. July 1, 2016. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Furia, T.E. (1980). CRC Handbook of Food Additives, Second Edition. Taylor & Francis. p. 106. ISBN 978-0-8493-0543-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Wiley (2007). Kirk-Othmer Food and Feed Technology, 2 Volume Set. Wiley. p. 405. ISBN 978-0-470-17448-7. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Berghoff, C.; Ryan, N.; Ryan, N.R. (2009). The Berghoff Cafe Cookbook: Berghoff Family Recipes for Simple, Satisfying Food. Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC. p. 30. ISBN 978-0-7407-9069-0. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ Cheddar beer soup - epicurious.com
- ^ Villas, J. (2012). The Glory of Southern Cooking: Recipes for the Best Beer-Battered Fried Chicken, Cracklin' Biscuits, Carolina Pulled Pork, Fried Okra, Kentucky Cheese. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. p. 126. ISBN 978-0-544-18656-9. Retrieved July 3, 2016.<
- ^ Andrews, C.; Hirsheimer, C. (2012). The Country Cooking of Ireland. Chronicle Books LLC. p. 36. ISBN 978-1-4521-2405-6. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ Gravette, A.; Cook, D. (2008). Traditional Irish Cooking: The Fare of Old Ireland and Its History. Garnet Publishing, Limited. p. 27. ISBN 978-1-85964-345-7. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ Paré, J. (2002). The Cheese Book. Company's Coming. Company's Coming Publishing, Limited. p. 145. ISBN 978-1-895455-89-2. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Sonoran cheese soup recipe - Chef2chef Culinary Portal
- ^ McNair, J.K.; Brabant, P. (1990). James McNair's Soups. Chronicle Books. p. 33. ISBN 978-0-87701-753-0. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Mccall, Davina (January 3, 2016). "Davina's Smart Carbs: Cauliflower cheese soup". Mail Online. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Joachim, D.; Hoffman, M. (2000). Prevention's The Healthy Cook: The Ultimate Illustrated Kitchen Guide to Great Low-Fat Food. Rodale Books. p. 118. ISBN 978-1-57954-243-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ "The Railroad Yardmaster". Railroad Yardmasters of America. 1967. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- ^ Kirsch, H. (2013). Soup Recipe Scrapbook. Trafford Publishing. p. 16. ISBN 978-1-4669-8761-6. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Wallace, L. (2010). Mr. Sunday's Soups. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. pp. 226–227. ISBN 978-0-544-18744-3. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ a b c Wangmo, Tsering; Houshmand, Zara (1998). "The Lhasa Moon Tibetan Cookbook". Snow Lion Publications. ISBN 1559391049. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ Churu recipe. Asiarecipe.com.
- ^ Cottage-cheese dishes: economical, wholesome, delicious. Circular (United States. Dept. of Agriculture. Office of the Secretary). U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, Office of the Secretary. 1918. p. 5. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ Cornell Reading-courses ... Course for the Farm. New York State College of Agriculture. 1915. p. 25. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ Cottage cheese soup Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine.. iFood.tv.
- ^ Stradley, L.; Cook, A.; Anderson, B. (2000). What's Cooking America. Falcon Series. Globe Pequot Press. p. 334. ISBN 978-1-56044-792-4. Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- ^ Wheeler, Jason (March 10, 2016). "Wildflower Bread Company's got breakfast, lunch, dinner figured out". dcourier. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ "Cream of Cheese Soup". Good Housekeeping. Phelps Publishing Company. 1907. p. 94. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- ^ a b McCausland-Gallo, P. (2004). Secrets of Colombian Cooking. New Cookbooks Series. Hippocrene Books. p. 41. ISBN 978-0-7818-1025-8. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Caribe.net - "La Mulata" Archived 2011-07-08 at the Wayback Machine.
- ^ "Food & Wine". Volume 28. International Review of Food & Wine Associates. 2005. pp. iv, 3. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- ^ McCracken, J. (2011). Healthy Carb Cookbook For Dummies (in Spanish). Wiley. p. 102. ISBN 978-1-118-07012-3. Retrieved July 3, 2016.
- ^ Byrn, A. (2004). The Dinner Doctor. Rodale. p. 97. ISBN 978-1-59486-092-8. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Gardens, Better Homes and; Books, B.H.G. (2004). Simple Slow Cooker Recipes. Better Homes & Gardens Cooking. Meredith Books. p. 72. ISBN 978-0-696-21834-7. Retrieved July 1, 2016.
- ^ Dolby, R. (1832). The Cook's Dictionary ... New Edition, Carefully Revised, Etc. [With Plates.]. Henry Colburn&Richard Bentley. p. 337. Retrieved July 3, 2016.